Monsters of Men: Chaos Walking: Book Three

Monsters of Men: Chaos Walking: Book Three - Patrick Ness There is not much I can say that has not been already said. This book was far from perfect, as were its protagonists but then again that appears to be the point that Ness makes: no one is purely "good" or "bad", it is the choices we make that define us, but at the same time it is also how we respond to the consequences of those choices.

I think that this lack of polarity is something sorely lacking in most YA books, and many adult ones too. There is (nearly) always a villain, and they are (nearly) always bad. Here, there were many potential "villains" other than Prentiss, and all of them have redeeming qualities - or at least, the conviction that they are doing the right thing even though their methods are wrong. Even the Mayor was not pure evil, though I will confess I hated him passionately. Nonetheless there were moments where I felt for him, even understood where he was coming from (though these moments were few and far between).

I think the reason I liked this series so much is that it shows the futility of war, as well as how easy it is to vilify people for being different. I can see how there are people that this would not appeal to but I do think that these books are essential reading, I will definitely recommend them to people in the hope that they take something good from them.