Pure

Pure - Julianna Baggott It's taken a while for me to work out the words to write this review, and to be honest I still don't have them, but as I read this a while ago now I thought it best to get some words down at least.

When I read [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] I remember thinking the weirdness was just... too weird. Something about it felt forced and odd, to me, but I couldn't quite put a finger on what the "right" kind of weirdness would be. Now I know - this book.

The suspense of disbelief is definitely required a little here, but it is easy to oblige. Strange mutants, not-so-strange mutants, ordinary people with genetic programming and nuclear safe domes make for pretty interesting reading, especially when it is all well written. In fact, the disbelief may even be unwarranted as I have heard that a huge amount of research went into the plot. I'm not suggesting that dust-humans are going to spring up everywhere, but with today's science much of the devastation doesn't take a huge leap of faith to imagine. The third person present tense narration took me a while to get into but I think that's perhaps a matter of personal taste, and after a while it feels fluid and natural.

Pressia is a great lead, tough but not too tough, and though there is romance, yes, it feels believable and is pretty straightforward. It doesn't take precedence over actual plot, unlike many other cases, and there are no pesky love triangles. The characters all feel well rounded, three dimensional, and though there are many loose threads unfinished by the end, I'm very, very happy to read the sequel to tie them all up.

They're making a film!!

(If they ignore the fact that Pressia is half Japanese in the casting I will completely give up on Hollywood though. I kept imagining a freckled Miki Ishikawa when reading for some reason, this is not unreasonable right?)