The God Delusion

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins Far from the impassioned, well reasoned argument against organised religion that I expected, this book is turning out to be incredibly dull, and the author incredibly annoying. His arguments seem to boil down to: "the idea of a god is so silly that of course there isn't one because that would be silly." I've lost count of the number of times that a promising argument has begun, the piece to be contested - "proof" of an existing god to be dissected - has been described and then the rebuttal to this "proof" is simply along the lines of "haha well this is obviously not true because of science!". No explanation involved at all. In fact, I would go so far as to say Dawkins is as dogmatic as the religions he mocks.

Near the start of the book, Dawkins claims that "if this book works as I intend, religious readers who open it will be atheists when they put it down." Well good luck with that! So far I am thoroughly unconvinced by any argument here (on either side, I suppose he has at least not worked in the opposite direction) and I am in no way religious.

I'll keep reading. There have been a few moments where he talks about religion as opposed to faith, and here the writing feels less didactic and therefore far more interesting. Maybe there'll be more of this? I mostly just hate leaving books unfinished, to be honest.