The Gospel of Loki

The Gospel of Loki - Joanne M Harris

Having loved both Chocolat and the Norse Myths, the prospect of one by the author of the other is something I very much looked forward to! Luckily my hopes were not let down, as is so often the case with anticipated reads.

The tone of The Gospel of Loki is quite light, at odds with some of the darker and more twisted events straight from the myths. It feels as though it were written from the point-of-view of a modern Loki, reminiscing about the distant past, possibly while relaxing at a café with a coffee in one hand and a pen in the other. At times this can be a little jarring, but mainly the casual style adds to the experience, emphasising the cheery-trickster aspect of our narrator. In a running motif throughout the book, Loki warns us of various people we should never trust – a wise man, a relative, a friend – and inevitably we discover that no one can be trusted, including Loki himself. Harris clearly knows and is fascinated by the Norse myths – she is currently studying Old Norse – and, luckily for us, that fascination translates into a charming book.

I've always loved the Norse myths and legends, but they always seemed to stay in a confused jumble in my head - after reading this I've found that they make sense, chronologically - Thor's "wedding" to the ice giants, Loki's mouth being sewn shut, Balder's death etc.

Full review here

*Received direct from the publisher through NZ Booklovers.